Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Crate training my puppy?

Okay, I just bought a 11 week old puppy. She is wonderful. Very sweet and affectionate, and very smart. She knows to go to the back door to pee and poop, but sometimes she just cant hold it. I understand. There are a couple issues though. The entrance to my living room is very large, and would it be best to keep her tethered so that she doesn't have full roam of the house. There is just not a baby gate large enough to go from wall to wall in the living room. Also, I have a 3 year old dog that I crate trained with minimal effort. Now, I put the puppy in the crate to start her off early, and she FLIPPED out. It literally sounded like I was beating her. Even my husband came in from outside because he though something was wrong. How long should I keep her in it? Maybe like 20 minute intervals, then 30 minute? I know this sounds dumb because I have another dog, but my other dog was nothing like this. She just went right in and that was that. I have a very flexible job and I can bring her to work with me, so I am able to be very diligent about potty training her. Im also very pro-potty training at home as well, She sleeps with me , and every couple hours she wakes up, whines and needs to go out. I know people are going to be upset that I let her sleep with me in bed, but it is what it is. I guess my main question is, how long should I put her in the crate everyday? When I do take her out, she is so scared, it literally takes her about 20 minutes to recover from the trauma. Is this normal? thank you .

No comments:

Post a Comment